Thursday, January 23, 2014

Inmates Make New Strides to Discourage Youth from Coming to Jail

Hello,

So right before Christmas I initiated a contest here at the prison for inmates to write an essay about the snares and pitfalls in their lives that led to them coming to prison. The goal behind this effort is to continue to discourage youth from glorifying street life or prison and to keep them from going through some of the stuff that us “Old G’s” have been through. About 15 inmates participated which is a huge deal. I selected the top three essays as winners. I will be sharing each essay in an individual post over the next couple of days so stay tuned and send this link to any young person you know…..especially African-American boys in urban neighborhoods. Tomorrow I will be 30 years old. I came to prison when I was 17. That means I have spent my entire adult life behind bars. I have and am continuing to evolve as a man and I just hope that I can inspire somebody else along the way. Each one reach one!

Signing off,
Robert

No comments:

Post a Comment