Thursday, November 7, 2019

Seeing Room For Growth

For the last two weeks during the CMU debate workshop here at Saginaw Correctional Facility I've been a judge. I've always made an effort to be a good listener. However, judging debates was a totally different ball game. Having to keep notes and a record of everything that was being expressed was challenging to me.

Do I feel that I was a perfect judge? No. I do feel that I was fair. We were given clear instructions by Professor Ed Hinck that when we debate we should speak slow and clear. During the first debate that I judged the first speaker doing the first affirmative constructive speech started by speaking so fast. I barely could keep up with her argument and record it. This young lady was making and effort to get everything that she prepared for her speech expressed in the allotted time.

The only thing that kept echoing in my mind was the Professors directions to speak slow and clear. Speaking fast did this young lady a disservice in from my perspective. A strong arugement of quality always outweighs an argument of quantity that's hard to follow. I was able to take some substance from her argument but most of it I missed because of how fast she was speaking.

The second debate that I judged was interesting. The question that I posed to myself was is it inappropriate to be encouraging as a judge in this workshop being mindful that this is an opportunity for us to learn and grow together. One debater was clearly nervous. I felt it was appropriate encourage this debater. Some felt that I should not have been doing it, I felt it was good sportsmanship. This debater needed the encouragement because he was shaking like leaves on a tree.

Judging these debates gave me an opportunity to strengthen my active listening skills. When in a conversation we often find ourselves thinking about what we want to say or we have some sort of block that distracts us an prevents us from listening. While judging the only option was to listen.

I begin to prepare for my first debate this week. To be continued....

No comments:

Post a Comment