Sunday, October 13, 2019

There's No "I" in Team

On October 10, 2019 Ms. Raqupaw, Professor Ed Hinck and the students from Central Michigan University (CMU) came into the facility and I was able to meet my debate partner Paige. Today we learned that we would be doing the negative constructive argument. I was hoping for the affirmative constructive argument but I studied for both. We studied how to judge a debate. The things that are scored are: Delivery, Organization, Analysis, Reasoning, and Refutation. This will require everyone involved to really dig deep on a cognitive level.

It was refreshing to be able to have a strategic conversation with someone and not have to feel that they may try to undermine you when they claim they are working with you. This jaded thought process is something that the prison environment can produce because it can be the reality in some instances. Just as in the community, in prison everyone has their own agenda. Being able to strategize with my partner in the spirit of cooperation, without any doubt of my partner's intentions was amazing. It reminded me that although politics and self -interest play a role in many spheres in life, the idea of "collective impact" and working as a team is still possible.

My interaction with my partner actually helped me put some institutionalized thoughts in perspective. It reminded me that I should continue to be a team player and support others and not be discouraged by individuals that may not understand the important of establishing interdependent relationships while working with others and when organizing. This can done while maintaining your individualism and independence.

This experience will be impactful because it's giving a positive experience in team work. Team work is required in the work force, in organizations, and in companies. I am hoping that this is a healthy experience for the men here inside as well as the students. To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment