Monday, September 30, 2019

Strengthen Your Foundation

September 27th, 2019 was an interesting day. Central Michigan University Professfor Ed Hinck was here at Saginaw Correctional Facility located in Freeland Michigan. The lessons for the day were: First Negative/Opposition Speech, Arguing a disadvantage, and Cross-Examination. There was a mock cross-examination by Professor Ed Hinck and Mr. Jones. Being able to see this exchange I was able to highlight some of the negative things that can cause a debater to be seen in an unfavorable light. The sections of this lesson that stood out to me were, "Do's and Don't for the Examiner, "Do's and Don't for the Examinee", and "Common Pitfalls". These sections gives insight on how to remain professional and ethical when engaging in a debate or when having to take an adverse position.

For the last few years we've witnessed a terrible display of debate ethics in the media. Debate should never be filled with sarcasms, degrading words, belittling, or disrespect. What I learned is that we should strive to make point using tact while being assertive. To exercise this kind of diplomacy an individual must keep their emotions in check even when facing an opponent that's doing everything they can to pull you off your square.

I was able to use some of the things that I've learned during a mediation conference with Mediator Dozeman, Assistant Attorney General Allen Soros, and Khristian Vanhaften. The purpose of the mediation conference was to resolve and settle a civil suit. I was able to use skills learns in this workshop to keep track of the contentions of the opposing side and maintaining a stance that was assertive but cooperative. Which resulted in me settling the case.

The things that have been imparted to me thus far at the debate workshop has given me a new perspective when negotiating and taking an adverse position. Most importantly I learned to keep an open mind . I can honestly say I was a better negotiator and adversary. I was able to share this experience with the workshop today. This is an example of how this workshop can have a positive impact and be used in our everyday life. To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment