Thursday, September 26, 2019

"The Introduction Matters"


On September 25th, 2019 at Saginaw Correctional Facility located in Freeland Michigan Lt. Wendt and Ms. Raquepaw brought in Professor Flemming Rhode and a group of students from Central Michigan University (CMU). Today the energy of the class was amazing. After reflecting on the first workshop experience where we were introduced to the students, I realized the energy was a little tense. I had to acknowledge that coming into a prison to visit for any reason can be overwhelming. I've heard this sentiment from a lot of different people.

Today the students came into to the room with an energy that I've seen before on the television show Scared Straight. I felt the need to remind them that this was not a Scared Straight episode.This actually lightened up the energy in the room and resulted in an open question and answer exchange between the men here and the students once we were given the floor by Captain Wirley.

A few of the students had some interesting questions. One student asked about the work assignments that we have in prison. Men shared their work experiences: food service workers, dog trainers, janitors/porters, tutors, and clerks. Hearing that some men only make cents an hour surprised some of the students. However, the men being able to acknowledge that they were able to see the good in the "work experience" was significant. If a person will work a hundred and sixty hours or more a month for less than a hundred dollars this work ethic can be taken to the community and turned into a success story.

One of the men here was sharing with the students all the jobs that he works in the institutions. They were under the impression that he was being paid for them only to realize that he volunteered for all the jobs except his job as a dog trainer. Hearing this man share his story with the students about being sentenced to two life sentences, but yet continuing to strive and prepare himself to return to society is powerful. Some might ask what's the need for preparing for the community if he was sentenced to life. Well, the answer to that is simple. Laws change everyday and men are being vindicated often.

I can use myself as an example. I always knew I would get out of prison. But I never knew that I would be given the chance to get resentenced. Then the law changed... The work that I did to improve myself prepared me for this opportunity and my future. So to be one of the men in this workshop to sit in front of these students and show that there are some men imprisoned like myself and others who have prepared ourselves to return to the community and the students being able to see that we all don't fit the stereotype that's shown on television gives a different perspective for society to hear.

It's my opinion that the youth and college students are paramount for any kind of change to happen when dealing with social issues including prison reform. I say this because they are the visionaries and individuals that have the energy and intellect needed to make changes.

After hearing the students express how some of the stories touched them while knowing that the men in the room were genuinely being who I see them being everyday made me smile inside. Surprisingly one of the men here approached me after this workshop and expressed to me that he was impressed by how I interact with people. I shared with him it's important that we always interact with people with the mind of a person that's free.

Meeting these students was a great experience for the men here and the appreciation was shared with them. What I didn't realize was that I would have to do so much reading. Smile. To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment